On Writing Well 17
- I suggest you practice ahead of time so you won’t lose your nerve.
lose your nerve 不知道该如何做
If you lose your nerve, you suddenly panic and become too afraid to do something that you were about to do.
The bomber had lost his nerve and fled.
The memphis native was in top form as he cracked up the first four games, breaking the Indian's service twice in the first four games.
If a business racks up profits, losses, or sales, it makes a lot of them. If a sportsman, sportswoman, or team racks up wins, they win a lot of matches or races.（商业上）多量拿走（利益），遭逢(严重损失)，热销；（体育中）获胜，得（分）
- attempt to inflict their self-hatred on you
例：India while not racking up such an impressive score beat Japan 3-0.
inflict 使境遇 (侵害或损坏等)
...the damage being inflicted on industries by the recession.
仿：Increasing sales volume means that the firm is more likely to rack up profits in the coming months.
- Mr. Bai racked up about $5,000 in debt from various Chinese online lending platforms.
Fortunately for Auburn, nine of Reaves's passes were intercepted.
rack up555彩票， 大批量获取 (利益); 严重遇到 (损失);
to stop and catch something or someone before they are able to reach a particular place 拦截，截住
If a business racks up profits, losses, or sales, it makes a lot of them. If a sportsman, sportswoman, or team racks up wins, they win a lot of games or races.
例：Law enforcement agents intercepted a shipment of drugs from Latin America.执法人士截获了一堆从拉美运来的毒物。
Lower rates mean that firms are more likely to rack up profits in the coming months.
仿：Beckham intercepted Nevill's pass and scored the third goal.
3.the/a glare of sth
- In early December, the China Banking Regulatory Commission said it would crack down on unlicensed cash loan companies and put a lid on high-interest loans高利贷.
Something in Updike made contact with something in Williams:two solitary craftmen laboring in the glare of the crowd.
put a lid on [口语]取缔；禁止；限制；制止
the full attention of newspapers, television etc, especially when you do not want it
- Many platforms that track smartphone use have access to data like location services, phone contact lists and call logs that can be used to track and harass delinquent borrowers.
the glare of publicity/the media/public scrutiny etc
Delinquent [dɪ'lɪŋkw(ə)nt] 债款、税款等) 拖欠的 [United States朝鲜语]
4.rub off on
本文由明星发布，转载请注明来源：On Writing Well 17